Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mary & Grafton


Mary asks: My dog Grafton likes to jump up and grab my arm when he wants to play. I know he doesn't mean to, but he's big and sometimes it hurts. I’ve tried turning my back on him, walking away and coming back after 5 minutes, but he hasn't stopped. What do you suggest?

Always remember, dogs do what works for dogs. So if this behavior doesn't work, then he'll stop. Even better, teach him an acceptable way to ask you to play with him.

When he jumps on you, cross your arms as you turn away, but don't walk away. Instead, just keep turned away and look up and to the left or right, so its clear you are shunning him. Start with just waiting 20 seconds before turning back to him. If that doesn't work, you can increase the time. Be neutral when you turn back, not forgiving or the "make-up-sex" could be worth it.

You will also want to teach him to bring you a toy when he wants to play. Its always a good idea to give them a better behavior to replace the one you want to get rid of. The fastest way to teach this is to watch for him to interact with a toy and then call him to you and join in the play. He will figure out that coming toward you with a toy gets you to play with him.
Gimme here: I've learned that my person is really delicate, so I don't put my paws on her except when she says I can. When I want to play I bring one of my toys to her. I drop it in her lap or on the keyboard several times. If that doesn't work, then I dance around in front of her playing with my toy and showing her what fun it is (and what fun I am)  . Most of the time she just can't resist and stops what she's doing to play with me. We have a lot of fun playing together.

Also, it might be worthwhile to teach him a "stop that" cue. I've taught Gimme "enough" and interestingly for the same reason - mugging me for play. I'd say "enough" and take her by the collar and hold it for 30 seconds - thus removing any possibility of a fun interaction. Since we already have a strong history of collar grabs being fun and rewarding, this won't teach her to avoid my hands on the collar.  If your dog is soft temperamentally, the collar hold might be too much like a correction. To teach "enough" to a soft dog, simply say "enough" as you turn away to begin the shunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment